Why become a member? ×

Whats the best stuff for cleaning pots and connectors?

Subthumper

Hi all, even though I've been in the electronics game for some years, I still find a confusing amount of claims by manufacturers about their products and I 'm still in search of the best solvent for cleaning up noisey pots, sliders and jack sockets. Can anyone recomend the best?
Cheers Just

[quote name='Subthumper' post='189347' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:25 PM']Hi all, even though I've been in the electronics game for some years, I still find a confusing amount of claims by manufacturers about their products and I 'm still in search of the best solvent for cleaning up noisey pots, sliders and jack sockets. Can anyone recomend the best?
Cheers Just[/quote]Can't recommend the best, as I've only ever used two types. The more expensive Servisol and the cheaper Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner.
I used the later yesterday to clean the pots on a 20+ years old semi acoustic guitar that had been lying in a loft, face up and uncovered. It was about an inch thick in sh*te and the pots were very bad, crackled even when you rocked them.
I gave each of the four pots and the pup selector switch a good 2-3 sprays, turning the pots back and forth for a while.
Bingo, good as new. Nice smooth action again and no crackles whatsoever.

Servisol certainly cleans pots up but it's pretty aggressive stuff so use sparingly - especially if you have pots that have some form of grease in them that gives that slightly damped good-quality feel as it scan strip the grease out of them and make them feel cheap!

I've read that it can be harmful to some plastics but not sure how credible that is.

Servisol. Was introduced to it by a bassist at a big festival gig one year and he spent most of the day sorting out dicky pots for people. Dicky Potts? He used to teach at my school! :)