Why become a member? ×

adding a tweeter

KennysFord

hi all.
i want to add a tweeter to my 4x10 and also to my practise speaker.At home im using the bottom half of an ashdown mini rig but the sound is very flat,the cab is roughly 14" square so is a piezo the way to go ??

for the 4x10 im guessing a horn type would be best but which one.im also unsure as how to wire them for the correct ohmage,especially as i'll probably need to add a crossover.the ashdown is 16ohm,i'd like to get that to 8ohms if possible.the 4x10 is 8 ohm and needs to stay that way.
thanks in advance.

Funny you should mention that...

Ferrets answer is probably the best... but if you are on a tight budget... this may be another option for you....

I'm not quite sure what you have got speaker set up wise, I don't know because it is getting late but it didn't scan well... but anyway, it looks like you want to do something like this. We modded up this cab and this is the result -

[attachment=8298:ashdown1.jpg]
[attachment=8299:ashdown2.jpg]
[attachment=8300:ashdown3.jpg]
[attachment=8301:ashdown4.jpg]

Easy to follow crossover installation - oddly enough the thicker cables go to the tweater and the thinner cables go to the woofer. No problems. Sounds great - even with a cheapo bullet tweeter of eBay. The Seleniums in my EBS cabs sound better to my ears, but to be honest, for the diffence in cost and on the gig, it really is quite here or there.

Edited by EBS_freak

Thanks for the replies guys but getting new cabs isnt an option at the moment,especially a 4x10.i have an ashdown mini rig for practise at home.Here's the thing,she who MUST be obeyed only allows me to have 1 of the 2 cabs that this set up comes with in the back room.Its about 14" square and surrounded by a roland drum kit so space is very limited.I'd like to add a tweeter to said cab just to brighten it up a wee bit.Its a 16 ohm cab but i want to get it down to 8 ohm then i can use it with my LMkll when the neighbours are out, :).
Now for the live setup,
I had a spare hartke 4x10 tp.I swapped the speakers for celestions and to my ears its improved the sound no end.Id like to brighten this cab up a bit with a tweeter but keep it at 8 ohms as my bottom cab is also 8ohms,i run them both together at 4ohms.
I hope thats a bit clearer,it was late when i posted the first thread.

I think you will find the lack of opinion is cos nobody has done it. Its not something I would do and getting new strings is probably easier. If you are gonna put a new speaker in the tiddler why not put a dual concentric driver in there (assuming you can find one with the right spec).