Why become a member? ×

String identification

Pinball

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me identify some strings. They are on a Carvin 5 string I recently bought and although they look pretty old, have been turned and they still sound pretty good. They have brass stops at one end, green binding at the other and are extra long. Probably in the 40-45/125-130 range.

Any help would be much appreciated as I like to know what I'm playing.

As the previous owner of the above-mentioned bass, I also have no idea what brand of strings they are! I cleaned them with meths as they were very dead when I bought the bass two months ago, which brightened them up significantly - but they are pretty worn looking...

They felt a bit smooth for Rotos (to my fingers anyway!). I am not familiar with any brands that use blue/green/turquoise silks, but at least you can eliminate several brands by the fact that they have silks at all (therefore not DRs) and the companies that use certain other colours...

Sorry, that's not much help is it? :blush:

I'd be putting new strings on anyway! Extra-long though, as I found out to my cost when I tried a set of La Bella HRS :angry:

Thanks for the replies, I may have mislead you a bit they look a sort of aqua/bluish in the day light. I quite like them even though they are dead. I'll maybe have to be creative with their replacements. The fact that they are old means new ones won't sound the same anyway I guess. They have to be a brand that makes extra long scale strings-do Carvin have their own brand maybe?