Why become a member? ×

weird sub bass swell on a string 14th fret - how to erradicate?!!??

Mod_Machine

Hi - posted on the effects page but have a sound check at 6pm and want to try and sort prior to this.

I have a lovely consistent new wave sound running a fender mustang pickups into tuner, marshall comp, EHX bass big muff and marshall delay. This goes into an ashdown with the bright emphasis on and the eq set with bass at around 5, mid down to mid and trebles up to 6 or 7.

With the compression it all sounds very Simon Gallup of early 'faith period' cure- compressed and new wave just the way i like it.

I decided to add a little chorus which i only really waated in the background but opted for an EHX small clone fitted just before the delay.

Its fine but appears to flange - mostly on its most minimal rate setting which is how i want the chrous.... its giving me a headache now though cause i cant even out all the notes 'volume' or depth to the compressed feel of before.

I cant get it very close using the chrous BEFORE the compressor and running my hartke bass attack vxl at the end of the chain. Perfect sound, and really extremely even across the fret board if im using my home built jedson based rebuild - with an old 80s cort and gibson SG neck, bridge etc...however its a git to play live as neck dives.

The same set up is fine with the mustang except for the 14th fret on the a string where the low sub bass swells....why is this and what can i do to remove and even it out with everything else....it just seems to be that one note!

Sound check is at 6 so im pretty eager to sort!

Please help...you are my only hope!

Are you sure it's not just a standing wave emphasising that particular note? Try moving your amp and see if it goes away. If not, try lowering your pickups a little and see if that improves things - often if they're too high they can make strings behave weirdly as you play further up the neck (and consequently the strings get closer to the pickup).

Ok...tried those which has indicated the resonance swelling on that note isnt the issue, but that the note im playing with it has no resonance...almost like a dead note...its perfectly intune but has no depth....

D string 16th fret...as i say perfectly in tune but no sub depth...is this just a sign of the string starting to die?