Why become a member? ×

latency

mushers

been using a lexicon lambda connected to a quad core pc tonnes of ram etc but i still get latency if i monitor say a guitar with an effect added into ableton live, not huge but still noticable
is there anyway round this ? tried new drivers and messing round with the latency correction and just lately stuck a SSD in the pc as the last hard drive was slooooow
monitoring direct from the sound card works great for me but you know what guitarists are like they want all the swishy cranky sounds but never think to bring a pedal ...

I'm going to assume you've got the correct asio drivers installed and you have reduced the sample size to the smallest amount possible without clicks/pops?

Download the [url="http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml"]DPC latency checker[/url] and run it on your PC as a first port of call. If you're getting any red or yellow lines then I would start looking at the drivers for other PC components such as wi-fi or network drivers that are hogging the CPUs time.

nice one not seen that software before all green for me re built windows only a few days ago so the pc is running very fast
the lexicon asio drivers only have a slider low latency at one end and stability at the other my slider is right over to low latency no clicks or pops or crashes freezes just this latency when using abletons effects and monitoring

Is it only when you're using effects? It's very weird that you're getting delays at the lowest settings.

The USB interfaces I use have negligable latency at their fastest setting, but I always ran into clicks and pops eventually. I use Cubase myself so hopefully an Ableton user will turn up soon. In Cubase there is an option to choose your ASIO driver - does Ableton have a similar option? If so then I would make sure that it's using the right driver rather than a generic one.

If you're still having trouble try using the ASIO4All driver.

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1345129590' post='1774001']
Is it only when you're using effects? It's very weird that you're getting delays at the lowest settings.

The USB interfaces I use have negligable latency at their fastest setting, but I always ran into clicks and pops eventually. I use Cubase myself so hopefully an Ableton user will turn up soon. In Cubase there is an option to choose your ASIO driver - does Ableton have a similar option? If so then I would make sure that it's using the right driver rather than a generic one.

If you're still having trouble try using the ASIO4All driver.
[/quote]
yup only using effects the recording has little or no latency but the sound from the monitors does while recording not much but you hear it while monitoring
definatly got the right asio driver in ableton tried asio4all a few months back and it was much worse
maybe the live 8 effects are just a bit too resource hungry might have to switch back to cubase :)

I guess you'll have to explain to the guitarist what the Monitor Mix knob is for .
Show him/her the third paragraph in the " Recording with the Lambda " section of this Sound On Sound article ;
[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct06/articles/lexiconlambda.htm"]http://www.soundonso...xiconlambda.htm[/url]