Why become a member? ×

FOR TRADE Wizard Thumpers good condition.

Hello all.
I`ve been using Thumpers on my P bass for a few months now and was extremely happy with them in conjunction with roundwound strings, but I then changed to Flatwound Chromes and though I love the sound, it`s not quite suitable for what I need in my function band.
So.. given that I really don`t want to lose the Flats after just getting used to them, I`d like to try some Wizard Trads instead.
So I`m looking to trade my Thumpers for your Trads!
Ta
MM

Hah, I've just *LITERALLY THIS VERY MINUTE* put a set of Thumpers under my Chromes. I won't get a chance to try them in anger til Friday's gig, hope I'm not going to be as disappointed as you were!

In what way was the sound unsuitable?

• 4 weeks later...

They are indeed mighty in the low end, especially through a PF500/SVT410HLF :)
But for me.. I need more mid range clarity for loads of songs with pick and grind and the flats/thumpers are just a little too velvety for that pop sound.
I`m not going back to roundwounds, my fingers would never forgive me, and I`ve just found some Chromes for my Jazz also.
So in conclusion, reggae, country, serge gainsborough type 60s stuff or dance,all would suit the Thumpers but if you`re doing Killers and Razorlight etc, you might need either roundwounds or a pickup with a little more mid range presence.
I`m sticking a Jap P pup in and see how I go on as a cheap comparison.
MM

• 4 weeks later...