Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quiet Pick-ups

Looper

Might be a daft question but here goes.
I recently bought a MIM jazz to replace an old P-copy and the jazz is not as loud the P.
Any ideas why this would be and if there's anything I could do to get more volume from the jazz?
(I have the pickups as close to the strings as I can).
Thanks all.

Maybe!

I swapped one of my Peavey's pickups out for Seymour Duncans last year. It sounds so much clearer, but the output is much lower than the stock humbuckers. Very strange! I wouldn't mind, but my compressor is set up for slightly higher output basses lol

Can you measure the resistance between the two wires of each pickup? You should remove it from the circuitry to do this really so you get accurate results. Not sure how good you are at soldering..?

The higher the resistance the louder the pickup. A normal Jazz pickup is usually about 7.5kohms but you can get replacement pickups that go way up to 15kohms or higher. A PBass usually comes in a bit higher as Lettsguitars said, an average of 9-10k. This difference is usually noticeable but slight.

If your pickups are under 7.5k there may be an issue with the winding, or it could be that your P pickups are especially [color=#ff0000]hot[/color]!
If there is an issue, you can either have the pickups rewound, maybe ask for them to be overwound to 10k, or just replace them.