Why become a member? ×

Refinishing - down to bare wood ?

mike 110

I'm going to refinish an old bass that has a that has a kind of rusty brown colour , see through finish . Will I have to go completely down to bare wood over the whole body or will it be sufficient to sand down enough for a good key ?

Edited by mike 110

No need to get to the bare wood. If you do decide to get to bare wood, you'll need to seal the bare wood first, sand flat and then begin the primer / topcoats application.

If you sand to a flat finish with a good key to it, that'll provide a great basis for the refinish application (assuming of course that you're going for a colour finish rather than a sunburst! If you're thinking of doing a sunburst, you'd need to get down to the bare wood). Make sure everything is totally flat first - use a sanding block to ensure no dips.

Have fun!!! Applying the new finish is great! Seeing the instrument take on a new colour is a great feeling.

Here's a link to the refinish I did on my Fender Eric Johnson Strat and my USA '62 reissue Jazz Bass (the Jazz Bass is now owned by John Haimes (Haimesy on this site).

Eric Johnson Strat
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163365-refinishing-fender-strat/

USA '62 Jazz Bass
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165861-fender-usa-62-jazz-bass-refinish-at-home/page__fromsearch__1

I've also finished a bare wood mid 50's style P-Bass in Shell Pink which will be assembled and setup tomorrow (this was a new build rather than a refinish. The body is swamp ash)

Hi Kevin ,

I've started to sand already and gone through to the wood in a couple of small places , but I do need to take the headstock down to the wood as I want it natural . Will the sealer have to be nitro ? It'll be a bit of bugger if I have to buy a full can for about an 8ins square piece ! But ....

It is going to be a solid , Daphne Blue ,along with White primer and Tinted gloss neck lacquer , which I'm getting from the manchester guitar tech .

I've checked your refinishes and they look superb . I love Surf Green ( pencilled in for future project ! ) I just hope my artistic skills are up to scratch !

:thank_you: !!!

Mike