Why become a member? ×

HELP!!!!! First self -build /restoration /project....a year on ....not much further really

mike 110

I have an old Hondo 2 Bass , double cut away type , that I'd like to transform -

It's 33 ins scale - If I cant find the neck I want in a 33, then I'd like to make it a 34 neck with a 4 in a row headstock (rosewood board , the original is maple )

The neck heel is really narrow at 60mm . Is there a neck available in this size , or does it mean having to sand the heel of the new neck or sand the pocket ? Or both ?

Will I have to install a new bridge further back to accommodate the 34 scale ? I am considering a Hipshot Supertone as a replacement as the Bridge is a 3 Point Gibson type thing ; if I have to move the bridge then it'll be something else .

How many coats of Primer and Paint . Any recommendations for both ?

This is my first excursion into building so any tips ,advice etc will be gratefully received .

Alternatively , I could just source the parts and ask The Bass Doc to work his magic !

Thanks in advance ,

Mike

Well its now nearly a year ago ....Where was I ....???

1 . I've decided to keep the neck - I've scraped off the fretboard finish with a Stanley blade and I'm going to stain it dark . The only thing is the inlay dots are black and I don't know how to remove them ...Any offers of help please !
2 . Got an Epiphone 3 point Bridge . Black ,brand new off ebay .
3 . Got Tonerider Precision Plus pickups , again ebay .
4 . Still can't decide on colour ...White I'm leaning toward ....?
5 . Have to get in touch with Kiogon for a solderless thingy ...?
6 . Maybe get some pickguard material and make one ...?
7 . More advice / help needed here please ...How would I go about making the bass string through ?
Whew ! :)

Edited by mike 110

You will have to resize the neck pocket (with a router) if the new neck is more than .5mm bigger. Need help/advice with that you can pm me. If the neck is very slightly oversized then sanding by fixing sandpaper to a flat surface and rubbing the heel firmly back and forth, back and forth, forth and back. . . fifth, will do the trick. You will have to move the bridge if you change the scale length.

60mm isn't especially narrow - it's a bit narrower than a standard Fender (about 62-63mm) but if you really want to replace the neck it should be possible to sand it to fit. You'd be better off doing that than opening the neck pocket out to fit a standard size Fender neck as the bridge spacing sounds a bit too narrow and you might end up with a big space on the fingerboard either side of the strings. You won't find a neck in 33" scale unless it's a custom build, so you'd probably need to fit a 34" and yes, you'll need to move the bridge back by an inch too.

One question to ask yourself, if you're spending big money on a Hipshot bridge and a new neck do you really want to spend time or money getting them fitted to a cheapo (possibly plywood) body? I would recommend you either get hold of a half decent body to make a complete new bass or stick to some simpler mods to your hondo.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1343150050' post='1746178']
Hmm. I wouldn't sand millimetres off the heel personally. You'll notice the thinning neck when the strings are on and you risk losing the squareness.
[/quote]

Yeah fair point. It can be done (especially if your string spacing's a bit narrower than usual) but it is allot of work that can easily go horribly wrong.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1343152221' post='1746230']
You might not need to move the bridge. For instance I have a 3/4 Tele copy for the kids done some looking about the net and it turns out the bridge to neck pocket is the standard Tele dimension, meaning a tele neck will bolt straight in.

Using Stew-macs calculator if it has a

33" scale 21 Fret neck 21st fret is 23.189" from the nut.

34" scale 20 fret neck the 20th fret is 23.291" from the nut.

0.102 of an inch different. Whats that 2MM surely the saddles will have enough adjustment to dial it out. The difference could all be in the neck ;)

Edit probably haven't explained that the best :unsure:
[/quote]
It might not work that way with this bass. The critical length is from 12th fret to bridge. The bridge needs to be equal or a little longer distance from the 12th fret as the distance from the nut to the 12th. You may have got lucky with your tele in that a replacement, full scale neck would have had a few more frets than the 3/4 size. Most Fender bass necks are 20 fret, 21 fret Fenders usually have an extension to the fingerboard and sit in exactly the same place (harmonically) as the 20. Maybe I was hasty in saying the bridge would need to be moved but it very much depends on the bass being modded. Maybe some pictures would be in order....

Well .... it looks like I've followed my usual pattern of jumping in feet first and head follows later ! My apologies and thank you for taking the time .

I want to keep the Bass (body) as it was my first . It is quite heavy and it doesn't look like it's plywood Even though I have absolutely no experience and it will be my ' guinea pig ' I'd still like to make the best job I can .

I don't have any specific tools ie routers , so I suppose I'll just have to do what i can with what I've got , a workbench , screwdrivers and plenty of sandpaper ! I'll see what I can do about the rest .

My Ideal scenario would be a straight replacement RW neck , but that's probably out of the question due to cost . Could I stain the fretboard to look like Rosewood or would it better to go for a Vintage Maple look ? I don't think I can afford a new fretbord !

The measurement from the nut to the 12th fret is 41cms .From the 12th to the front of the bridge 40.2cms and to the back of the bridge 44.2 . The 2 saddles that are in the bridge are 42.5cms from the 12th fret . From the neck pocket to the front of the bridge is 21cms .

There are 22 frets .

I'll get some pics up later .

Thanks again

Mike

Edited by mike 110

Here's what I've got so far --

Ive deciced to keep the neck and try and tint it as dark as looks good .

Colour - Daphne Blue C/o manchester guitar tech

White Pearl pickguard c/o The Bass Doc ( designed by yours truly ! )

Chrome hardware - Elephant ear tuners of some sort . P type knobs . Anyone recommend good quality , not too expensive , versions of either or both ?

Hipshot Supertone Bridge ,

P Bass pickups - not sure again , Any recommendations of a decent , not too expensive set ?

Strings - Flats of some kind . Undecided yet .

:)

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1343150623' post='1746192']
Yeah fair point. It can be done (especially if your string spacing's a bit narrower than usual) but it is allot of work that can easily go horribly wrong.
[/quote]Also I was thinking that the neck would be fretted which would make sanding a no go.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like this :)

[attachment=140154:083.JPG][attachment=140155:064.JPG]
[attachment=140156:067.JPG][attachment=140157:065.JPG]

I'm going to stain the fretboard darker , but leave the markers in , I'm not confident enough to remove them yet !

Ivory Bisque Gloss colour ( rustoleum spray paint )

Black Tuners and Bridge

White Pearl Pickguard with Black Screws

P Bass Wiring kit and Chrome Knobs

Edited by mike 110