Why become a member? ×

heading towards bass utopia

Pinball

I'm feeling happy so thought I would share my joy!

I took up guitar after a 25 year gap late last year. My son was out of work and I was telling him that he would be fine as he was a nice guy and very employable and that he should use his talents. Afterwards i got to thinking I should use my talents and record that song I wrote back in 1980 so I sold a pinball machine and got some guitars and gear. I started recording and bought a bass earlier this year to record with, as I don't have a musical circle of friends to call on.

At the moment I'm enjoying playing bass more than guitar. I have been learning thanks to this forum and experimenting at home but about a month ago I was demotovated and playing was becoming a chore. At that time I had a very nice Schecter Stilleto Custom and Spector Legend 4 and was messing around with pedals trying to find the sound I wanted. Nothing was quite hitting the spot but things can change and since then....

1. I traded my Schecter for a Dean 5 stringer. This got my enthusiasn going again and opened up more song writing possibilities with bass.
2. After deciding I could handle 5 strings I splashed out on a Yamaha TRB 1005 which sounds thunderously good
3. I settled on 3 pedals and have set up a pedal board that means I can access them easily without any hassle

[i]Note: As a result I recently decided to sell my Legend 4 (still for sale) which I wasn;t using much as I liked having a "B" string[/i]

This got me back playing with enthusiasm but wait, there is more

4. This week I swapped a lead guitar with a Basschatter for a 2nd Spector Legend 4 Bass.
[i]Why ( you nutter) when you are already trying to sell your 1st you may ask?????[/i]
[i]Well it was different as it had P/J pups and it came with a case. My justifacation was that it was a chance to try the new PUP arrangement and get a case for free, which I needed. This guitar is set up with BEAD tuning and so far it is hitting the spot. I love the soft/low sounds with just a hint of a growl[/i].
[i]BEAD Tuning? I wish I had tried it with my 1st Spector but being new to bass it just didn't occur to me. Others may miss the high string but as I'm doing my own stuff and I tend to play low, it's not an issue. Now have another Bass that I may well hang onto (I do like a nice Spector).[/i]
5. I have a vocalist who has contacted me and wants to come and do some recording, important as a lark I am not!

I am really liking my gear at the moment and I'm feeling very motovated and positive so wanted to share!

Thanks for all the advice I have recieced over recent months to get me to this point, in all cases it has been excellent!

Also my son? Well starts his new job at the end of the month. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pinball

Yeah! It's great when life shows you you're on a roll! All of that was lovely to hear, thanks for sharing :)

I am similarly enthused at the moment, more on guitar than bass but still both. It's great to have a passion for it, nothing like it in the world. Hope things keep getting better and better for you!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1342614185' post='1737862']
I love Spectors. Been considering string one of mine as BEAD too.
[/quote]
As I'm still learning, I think switching between 5 and 4 strings is good as it encourages me to think about what I play and to use different parts of the neck.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1342614185' post='1737862']
I love Spectors. Been considering string one of mine as BEAD too.
[/quote]
Having the two side by side I just noticed that the later later Legend 4's are 34 inch scale and the 2004-2006 Legend 4 jazzer has 35 inch scale, which may make a slight difference. There are so many things to consider with basses as there seem loads of variations in string spacing scales etc.