Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG Machine Head Bush problem / question

boggie

Hi,

I just treated myself to a new bass. I went to the Wembly Guitar Centre with thoughts of trying and maybe buying a candy red American Special Jazz but after checking out lots of different basses (they left me alone for a couple of hours to play) I fell for a Gibson Heritage SG in high-gloss cherry finish. It just worked for me, had a great growl from the bridge pickup and deep rich output from the bridge and looked the dogs.

I got it home and discovered a slight issue. A couple of the machine head bushes are not properly pressed in, there is a significant and noticeable gap between them and the headstock. I tried slackening off the E string to release any tension on the bush from the shaft and gently pushed at the bush but it seemed pretty tight.

In theory I could take the string and machine head off then using a clamp (with rubber pads to protect the headstock and bush) squeeze / press the bush home. However, I am concerned that this could cause the lacquer to crack around the hole if the bush is too tight. Would warming up the area with a hairdryer help or could this make things worse because the metal bush expands? Alternatively I could take the bass back to the shop and ask them to sort it but they would presumably face the same issue and may take less care than I will as it is my bass.

Perhaps I am being over cautious but as this bass is my pride & joy I would really appreciate any advice from experienced luthers amongst us....

Thanks,
B

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1342565462' post='1737299']
If it's new it should be perfect. Take it back. It's up to the shop to make things right. Don't try and fix it yourself, if something goes wrong the shop will wash their hands of you.
[/quote]

^this, definitely.
Seen a few posts on US sites lately saying Gibson's QC was going iffy again. A Gibson should be perfect, an Epiphone maybe you'd give them a tolerance.