Why become a member? ×

Any idea if this is decent?

untune

Just flicking through an old search I had open and this has been listed... black P bass body from the 80s. I've got a maple neck sat here doing nothing from a project that has no real hope of going anywhere and even though I've got my heart set on a sunburst MIJ P (which I shall be acquiring very very shortly if all goes well) I still love the look of black/black/maple and wouldn't mind throwing together a knockabout project that can be worn and beaten without worry, plus it can act as a bit of a platform for upgrades and just generally having a bit of a project on the go.

Any idea if this would be worth it... he says he doesn't know the wood (but says its quite heavy) and doesn't know the make.

Can't tell if the bridge is wonky or if it's just the photo. The scratchplate looks like it doesn't follow the body contour on the near edge perfectly (near the bottom where the back is) but I'd get a black one anyway (assuming I could find one that fits!)

Only distinguishing feature seems to be the bridge - with it's two additional screws that are slightly in from the corners - seen these on a few 80s Japanese copies but don't know - anybody have any idea what this is, or if it'd be worth getting? Since there's so little info I'm a bit dubious even when they're cheap (perhaps more so)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-bass-body-/170877853363?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27c91d1eb3"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-bass-body-/170877853363?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27c91d1eb3[/url]

How bad/good can it be. It's either plywood, alder or ash. If it's heavy then I would guess at one of the latter. From a pointless 'personal point of view' perspective, the weight of this kind of bass is exactly what turns me off. You could probably pick one up even cheaper than this. I'm sure they're are a few folk on basschat trying to declutter who are getting rid of bits like this at the mo.

Just what I was thinking.... I very rarely look on ebay anymore for things like this and would much rather buy things from the community here. That way I know that I won't be lumped with a lemon. I get more curious about the history of things like this, where it came from, and such... I should probably get the MIJ P sorted before I start thinking about projects again :lol: