Why become a member? ×

Substitute DB while mine's in for repairs?

MandShef

Hi guys

My double bass is desperately in need of repairs, and I'd booked it in for the summer hols on the assumption the concert season would be over (it'll be in for repairs 4 - 6 wks). However, I have now been asked to play in a concert in September and rehearsals will be taking place over the summer. I don't want to let them down (& I'd really like to play) but I'm wondering where I can get a bass to use temporarily. I've heard that someone can potentially get hold of an old school double bass that might be going spare, but a) I'm not sure they'd be willing to lend it out yet, and b) I'm not sure how playable it'll be (apparently it's a bit battered and has been stored leaning against a radiator ....!). If it's a no go I was wondering if there was such a thing as Double bass rental? I've done a google search for DB rental in Sheffield with no luck. What do you guys do in this situation?

Cheers.

I rented a DB from a local violin shop when I was starting out. Not many shops do rental schemes, so you might have to look a bit further afield than Sheffield.

A quick look on the interweb brings up Forsyth's in Manchester. They don't specifically mention boubls basses in their hire scheme, but you could call them up and ask?

Thanks guys, always good to have lines of enquiry, although it looks like I may be sorted - my v kind bass tutor has offered to lend me his! Can't quite believe it, and I'll def be nervous of taking care of it. But hurray, I'll get to carry on playing over the summer :D