Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG2 115 combo sound problem

Rusco

Hi all, I bought a new Ashdown MAG2 115 combo towards the end of last year but I’ve struggled to get a decent tone out of it. I’ve played both my Yamaha 424x and Squire CV60 jazz through it (more the Yam) but it always seems to sound very boomy (?) and a little distorted.

I’ve tried virtually every config combination the amp has to offer using the Eq options, compressor and sub but it never sounds clean. I know Ashdown tend to be on the warm side, which is fine for what I want, but I can’t seem to loose the fuzzy boom sound.

Anyone had the same problem or any suggestions ?

Cheers.. R

Make sure you don't have the deep button pressed in and ensure the EQ is actually switched on (I used to have the deep and high buttons switched on 24/7 and the EQ pretty flat on my EB 15 Ashdown and it never sounded boomy). As far as EQ, goes try turning the bass knob down completely and adding some low mid to get a deeper sound. Then if it's not sounding deep enough start dialing in some bass to fatten the sound up and stop before it gets boomy. Try this with the Squier Jazz first then try it with the Yamaha.

Edited by gjones