Why become a member? ×

Grade 8 Exam

chilisfan16

I've been playing bass self taught for a good few years now and have been convinced to go for my grade 8 exam by my bandmates, who are all grade 8 on their respective instruments and say i meet that standard.

What i wanted to know was, exactly what should i expect from this exam? I got a grade 8 bass book and i've been working through the tabs and learning each song, and i know i have to choose 3 of them to play in the exam. And i have to know pretty much every scale on the bass, which is fine, i've seen the syllabus and i can recite any they are asking for.

What i'm not too strong on at the moment is the sight reading element of the course. One thing i was wondering was will the sight reading element mean i have to read sheet music or would they have tabs since it is on a fretted instrument?

Another thing is i play a 6 string, and if i was to use it, would they restrict me in my scales and soloing to just the 4 EADG strings? And do they allow you to use more than one bass for the exam?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance.

Paul

I did this exam about a year ago,
There's sight reading in tab as well as dots.
Scales would be fine on a 6 string as they only ask for two octaves. Soloing on the C string shouldn't be a problem, if anything, it shows you know your instrument well.

So I'll be able to use every string on the bass for both scales and soloing? And how much music is there usually with the sight reading to learn?

Another thing is, alstocko, when you did your 3 pre learned pieces, did you do a lot of improvising on them during the exam?

Are you doing it with Rockschool, or trinity? Or another board?
I recently did my grade 8 trombone, and the sight reading (from the syllabus) seemed to be what you would expect from a grade 5/6 performance piece.
I also don't know how much they go into theory and aural testing?

I also don't see why they should restrict you on what kinda of bass you bring (as long as its in the correct tuning. :P)

[quote name='Alec 'Aleb' Mills' timestamp='1341130186' post='1714004']
Are you doing it with Rockschool, or trinity? Or another board?
I recently did my grade 8 trombone, and the sight reading (from the syllabus) seemed to be what you would expect from a grade 5/6 performance piece.
I also don't know how much they go into theory and aural testing?

I also don't see why they should restrict you on what kinda of bass you bring (as long as its in the correct tuning. :P)
[/quote]

Grade 8 Trombone ftw! (Well Bass Trombone ;) )

Depending what board we can answer more questions,

I've not sat but have had unoffically the Trinity and Rock School Grade 8 exams (Ie been examined by examiners under the respective boards, just not as a candidate for the certificate)

Sight reading isn't bad when you get a grip of it. On some instruments (Bass Trombone included...) the modulations, timing, dynamics and jumps are there to catch you out but as a piece are never too bad.

It is rockschool, I'm currently going through the pieces and putting my own twist on things and changing a few bass solos. How strict are they with improvising from the tablature?

Also how long would I get to look over the sheet music for the sight reading? And there's also the part after that which I can't understand from reading what the exam will cover. Something about rhythm and melody?

[quote name='chilisfan16' timestamp='1341129590' post='1713997']
So I'll be able to use every string on the bass for both scales and soloing? And how much music is there usually with the sight reading to learn?

Another thing is, alstocko, when you did your 3 pre learned pieces, did you do a lot of improvising on them during the exam?
[/quote]
Theoretically yes, but it will be scales that are designed for four string bass.
There's one piece of sight reading, which you get tonnes of time to examine and learn.
I improvised where it said to, and developed lines under solos.

[quote name='chilisfan16' timestamp='1341158153' post='1714460']
It is rockschool, I'm currently going through the pieces and putting my own twist on things and changing a few bass solos. How strict are they with improvising from the tablature?
[/quote]

I don't know for certain as I've never done a RS exam. However, since the dots are written out, they are written for a purpose so my advice is follow them. Develop and improvise and only where stated. That said, marks will be given for interpretation so don't play it like a robot.

Also how long would I get to look over the sheet music for the sight reading?
[/quote]

It should state this in the blurb.

And there's also the part after that which I can't understand from reading what the exam will cover. Something about rhythm and melody?
[/quote]

Quick Study piece or Ear (Aural) Tests?