Why become a member? ×

5 string PUP on a 4?

samzemuel

Im refurbing my ibanez edb 500 (the ergodyne one) but pickup spaces and pickups are huge. Space is 38x117mm so far closest size wise is EMG 45 and bartolini mk5. Problem being is most pickups for this space is for a 5 or 6 string. Now not knowing much and limited info available will popping a pickup for a 5 string in work on my 4

Should be fine; EMG pickups are on rails rather than polepieces, not that it particularly matters whether the strings are perfectly aligned with the polepieces anyway.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/emg_45dc_basspickup.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._basspickup.htm[/url]

as you can see, it is fine for any string spacing up to 95 mm. Also the 45 is a 6 string pickup :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

YES :) This is something that Ive been wanting to do myself on one of my babies. Basically you will be 'Between poles' which is not a bad thing at all. I believe it give a slightly more mellow tone. Musicman did a special for, I think, Ernie Ball himself (Im probably close but no cigar) and there is a Fender one you can get to with it. Having said all that you will have to look at the routing and overall spacing of yours since it woll be a bespoke set up. Good luck if you do do it and would like to know the outcome :D

A

EDIT: I was going to mention the rail style pickups in which case it wouldnt matter since there is no poles but forgot in my haste and Edward said it himself ;) above

Edited by apa

So the reason im hoping to change pup is the factory ibanez is a bit rubbish. I had a east UK u retro fitted which sounds awesome. I can only assume that a better pickup will add to the tone rather than remove any from pre amp.

Iv had a look and the EMGs fro example come with their own tone controls etc so i hope i can link them with my pre amp

[quote name='samzemuel' timestamp='1340999804' post='1712801']
Iv had a look and the EMGs fro example come with their own tone controls etc so i hope i can link them with my pre amp
[/quote]

You don't need to use any of the knobs from the pickups since all the volume and tone controls come with the preamp already.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1341002181' post='1712838']
Been tempted to pull my T-bird apart and route it out for that.

[b]Isn't it WoTs yoke that has the between the poles. Can't mind the name. Fender, a Signature, Sunburst with a tort plate IIRC.[/b]
[/quote]

Yes thats the one. There was a big teaser thread where we all had to guess what he had coming :rolleyes:

A