Why become a member? ×

Outdoor gig - will I be loud enough?

solo4652

I would agree with the RCD. I did a gig wehere we soundchexcked and everything was great. The guy ran out a nice long mains and we plugged in all was fine.

Soundcheck over I realised |I hadn't used my RCD. I plugged it in and it tripped. Long story short it turned out there was no earth. Carry an RCD and make sure you use it.

We played The Dub Aid Festival in March, which was in a marquee, taking about 400/500 people. PA was 10K, but it was the decent monitoring that made the difference. This was not our own PA I might add, an ideal set up for all the participating bands, but once you go outside whether under canvass or not, its a totally different ball game.

We played to this crowd:
[attachment=111529:AwK366fCAAALyFI.jpg]

from this lorry:
[attachment=111530:AwK3kbzCIAIxB4M.jpg]

At the weekend. Our gear:

2 x 900w 14" tops
1 x 500w Mackie SWA1501
1 x Marshall DSL2000 through an Orange 2x12
1 x Peavey 6550 through an Orange 4x12
1 x Ampeg PF-500 through an 8Ohm Matamp 4x10
1 x JBL Eon15 monitor

Everything through the PA (all drum shells), but most of the guitar came from the backline. I needed a little bass DI'd to get enough bottom end.

Everyone commented on how good and full we sounded, I think the lorry and walls at the back helped keep the sound in somewhat, but it was windy.

If you've got the backline and decent enough tops, I think you can get away with quite a modest setup outdoors in the right circumstances.