Why become a member? ×

Need advice about woods...

bassickman

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340121860' post='1699472']
I would have also thought that growing conditions make just as much difference, so wood from two trees of the same species grown in two different locations with different environmental conditions will be completely different.
[/quote]

Very true. Sonokling rosewood and Indian rosewood are the same species, but the former is grown in Java, Indonesia. I've worked with both and it's amazing how different they are in terms of colour, grain and density.

Anthony Stradivari's big secret was supposedly his varnish recipe. They say that the varnish gave his instruments their characteristic tone. He also hand selected local trees to be cut for his instruments (guitars aswell), so there must be something in the wood. I heard he had arthritic knuckles from tapping on tree stems. I personally think that obviously there are many factors and all are of significant importance, most of all skill and experience. A guitar made from one wood does not necessarily make it better than a guitar made from another 'inferior' wood. Every instrument has it's own character and that is a good thing. If you knew exactly what to expect from a bass and we all sounded like Jaco the world would be a very boring place.