Why become a member? ×

Looping question - multiple outputs!

sshorepunk

Hi

Just mulling over a potential project idea with a sax' playing friend of mine and need some help

Going to be using a looper pedal, jamman etc for looping and layering bass parts. But also need to do the same with drum sounds.
I have tried running a loop along side a drum pattern from something like my ipad, but as you would expect, my "human set loop" is never going to stay with the "machine"!

I could run the drum loop through the looper pedal first, then layer bass on top, but would like to be able to add effects to drum loops and bass, independantly! So i guess the only was that would work is through a looper with multiple outs, where you can assign a loop to a particular output? Does such a device exist?? Or, is it possible to do it with two loopers, sync'd via midi??

Or am i just looking for something that is too difficult and complex to manage??

Hope that all makes sense :-)

Cheers

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

there are a number of hardware and software options - software, you could do it all using a laptop running Ableton live and either Mobius or SooperLooper. Or any other looping plug-in, there are quite a few now...

With syncing multiple machines, the new Boss floor unit, i think, has MIDI - as does this one http://www.strymon.net/2012/04/30/looping-with-strymon-timeline/ (no experience with the Strymon at all, so just going on what's on the site).

Or there's the Looperlative, which is what I use - which has one stereo input, but three different outputs, to which each of the 8 stereo pairs are assignable. I manage to loop me and whoever else I happen to be playing with into the Looperlative, and post-process them separately. I use a MOTU Ultralite Mk III as the mixer at the heart of my set up (which means I can also record everything multitracked).

The Looperlative does have external sync, but it's a little flakey at the moment - Bob who makes them is redesigning the OS at the moment, and it should fix the sync-drift problems...

Steve
www.stevelawson.net

I did a bit more digging on this

the looperlative looks ideal, I assume this is the LP1?
The Boss RC-50 and the newer RC-300 allow you to select the output for each of the three tracks, main output or sub!
The Boss looks to be a lot less $$ and more easily available

T

• 3 weeks later...

oops, sorry I missed the last post here - yes, the LP1 is the one (the LP2 pedal is coming out soon, but is a single mono output, as far as I know...) - the LP1 is on a production hiatus at the moment, while the OS is rewritten... should be relaunched later in the year.

So for now, the Boss stuff is WAY easier to get hold off (though there was someone selling a *really* cheap LP1 on one of the Facebook looping groups the other day..) and will cost a lot less dough...

Enjoy!

Steve
www.stevelawson.net