Why become a member? ×

Sticky maple neck

pumkinkin

[quote name='pumkinkin' timestamp='1337863747' post='1666561']
At this point I would greatly benefit from an instructional song on how to sand the neck of your bass, maybe accompanied by an animation featuring a bass neck running away from the grim looking sandpaper, who in the end turns out to be a nice fella.
[/quote]

It's a little short notice but....

For a neck, I would personally use 0000 grade wire wool (but tape up the pups otherwise you'll be picking off iron filings for years :rolleyes: ) but if I used grit paper, it would be VERY, VERY fine wet and dry (1000 grit at the maximum and 2000 grit preferably - auto finishing retailers are a good source. DIY superstores usually get nowhere near fine enough)

• 4 months later...

You'd have to go silly to damage wood as hard as maple with 1000 grade. Video advice is good, always go along the length of the grain and with the amount of rubbing he did to just take off the tiniest layer of oil and muck for a fresh surface.

The reason he cleaned it before sanding is so that you don't rub any of the dirt into the grain.