Why become a member? ×

Singer mic advice needed

cupples

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice for a new mic for one of our singers - she's currently using a Shure Beta 58, but plays keys, so tends to move about, which doesn't work so well. Also, she has a lower range, but tends to sing beyond her range, and sounds a bit shrill. It's tricky trying to rein this in via the desk (due to lack of sound guy most of the time...), so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a dynamic, cardioid pattern mic, but forgiving in the high frequencies and upper mids, and under about £100?
Thanks
Andrew

We had been using a headset for her, but she has big hair so it doesn't fit that well, plus I seem to spend all my paycheck on 9v batteries! And it still sounds a bit dodgy in the upper ranges. I think what's really needed is someone on the desk +/- an effects unit, but I'd love to keep it simple...

Ideally you need a frequency conscious compressor strapped across her mic, so that those shrill notes get pulled a little, but you can do a lot with a cheap DBX 266 or whatever.
Most fem vocals sound great in one part of their register, but get a little "icepick in the eye" when they go for the higher parts.
For me, a good old SM58 with whatever mid/high mid EQ you have on your desk tweaked down a bit should do it,and a compressor set to only compress her loudest parts would get you 90% there.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for compression. She needs to learn mic technique though and there isn't a brand on earth that will deal with someone who doesn't address the mic properly. Can you improve her monitoring so she can pick herself out a bit better. She may then learn to self correct. Over half of poor singing is actually down to poor monitoring IMO.

You might want to look at super or hyper cardioid pattern mics rather than cardioids like the SM58. A lot of female vocalists often get on better with SM57's. Actually the beta58 is supercardioid but avoid anything with too strong a proximity effect if the singer has poor mic technique.

I use an AKG D5 which does handle female vocals well but it is more revealing than the Shures so if the harshness is due to pitch problems beware. The Electrovoice nd767a might be worth a look too.