Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan SPB-3 pickups earth/grounding fault

Hi guys,

Recently dropped a brand new set of SPB-3's (which I got from eBay in the US) into my 73 Precision restoration project-last piece of the puzzle.

Followed the wiring diargram to a T and there is a problem with earthing.
I've had two different techs check it over, and both tell me the same thing: wiring's 100% fine, the pickup must have a fault of some kind it seems to be acting in reverse-earthing when you touch it!

I've emailed the seller via eBay and am awaiting a reply.

I've had a few sets of these pickups and never had any hassle with them before.
Anyone had any similar experiences?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1337392408' post='1659364']
As in hums when you touch the poles? Have you tried just swapping the wires an ignoring the colour code? The wires fairly easily come off the solder lugs on the pickup and could have been put on wrongly on one of them, or both.
[/quote]

It hums and sort of pops loudly when you touch the pole pieces. you reckon I should have a go at swapping the wire around then?

Well, tried it all - no good. Still has the weird hum and buzz in the first two pole pieces!

I got a reply back from the eBay store (somewhere in California) on the 18th saying if there was a fault they'd do an exchange or refund.

I said I'd take an exchange. I asked them about how we go about organising it on Sunday. Haven't had a reply yet...
I know i'm nearly 19 hrs ahead, but I thought they might have replied by now.