Why become a member? ×

Fretless Squier VM Jazz in Edinburgh?

mcnach

I'm growing an interest on those Squier VM Fretless Jazz basses.
I have two P-style fretless [1], and I would let one go to entirely or partially fund the fretless Jazz. The thing is I would like to be able to try one first. Tried in local shops but they seem to never have one when I show up.

I was wondering whether there is anybody in Edinburgh (or reasonably close) who has one and could let me have a quick try. I could bring along my fretless P for them to try too.
This is not with a purchase/sale motivation, it's simply for curiosity. Although obviously I could entertain offers to either buy or sell, but that's not necessary.

The two fretless P basses I own are very different:

#1 cheap Sue Ryder P-bass. White/white and maple. Defretted and slots filled with sycamore veneer (pale). DiMarzio MOdel P pickup. D'Addario nylon tapewound strings.

#2 not so cheap Fender Precision CIJ 70s (2007). Natural/black and unlined maple. Original everything. Status Hotwire flatwound strings.

I love the feel of the Fender, but the sound of the Sue Ryder. Oh, and the Fender is a stunner, with my all-time favourite combination of natural/maple.
So I'm really not sure what to do about this... which one would I let go?
I should try the Fender with the D'Addario strings, and perhaps the DiMarzio pickup. It feels great, and I like that the side dots are at the fret positions, not in the middle, so I find it very easy to play. Just not as exciting right now as the Sue Ryder to listen to. If it can sound like the Sue Ryder... then it looks like a winning combination: looks, feel, sound...
However, the Sue Ryder is not bad at all, and I don't play fretless very often... I would get very little money for it, but if I keep it, it can do the job and I would release a decent amount of cash selling the Fender. The thing is I really prefer the neck on the Fender...
Decisions, decisions.
If I end up liking the Jazz so much, I might just let both fretless P-basses go! ;)

so... anyone around Edinburgh with a fretless Squier VM Jazz?

[u]Might be worth checking this out - Stockbridge - no idea why this is underlined!![/u]

[u][url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/squire-fretless-jazz-bass/102635866"]http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/squire-fretless-jazz-bass/102635866[/url][/u]

I doubt he'd like me to just walk in to play with it for a few minutes and leave... and I cannot lie and act as though I am a possible buyer, because at this minute I am not.

Pity, because he must live like 3 minutes away from me!