Why become a member? ×

GONE: "Starter upright" for sale

I won't beat about the bush ... this bass is tatty. However it served it's purpose for me and that was to cheaply find out if an upright was for me.

Downsides:
1. A huge chip out of the scroll, that will need a lot of TLC if a repair is attempted
2. Small gaps between the back table and ribs. Glued and holding
3. A split in one of the ribs. Repaired and holding
4. Splits in the top table (is that right ?) which have been patched from behind and are holding well.
5. Scuffs, scrapes and chips everywhere.

Upsides:
1. A cheap way to find out if upright is for you
2. A bass which would have a market value of maybe £700 [b]IF[/b] you were able to put your own time and skills into it. (Would cost too much for a repairer to get it to that state).
3. I'm not going to try to recoup the costs of the repairs I had done at MJ Healey Violins

It sounds reasonable to me (bearing in mind this is the only full upright I've posessed), but would probably be improved by replacing the ancient set of strings. I have an unused set of strings (Spirocore lights/weichs) that I think are too long for my EUB, so we may be able to do a deal there.

The top is carved, the back is flat, but I'm pretty sure it's not ply. The ribs I don't know about but to be on the safe side, let's say they're ply.

It's a 3/4 made by Reghin (according to the label inside). Which means somewhere in Eastern Europe, can't remember where. Age ... really not sure, but given the wear and tear, it's no youngster.

I'm moving it on because despite still wanting to do upright, I'm not gigging an upright (not even the EUB) and I can't justify the space it takes up.

I'm asking £250 collected from London. A shade under what it cost me on feeBay about 5 years ago.

Edited by BigBeatNut