Why become a member? ×

Amp out put

thunderider

Just a rhetorical question,i have power amp thats 100/150 watts, its quite asthetically pleasing to me,i run a pre amp wich gives it a phatter sound sounds quite good driving my 212 & 115 but not convincing my self its loud enough!! Altho my laney 150 &,118 im being told is very loud, think im loosing my hearing range! Anyway i digress....to make the power more powerful say 300 watts is it just a case of swapping the output or what would need to be changed? Would it be worth the cost? Seems this (not so) power amp only cost 23£!!!!

The fact that it cost £23 probably says it all. Run a sine wave tone of about 100hz thru it and, without connecting it to a speaker, use a voltmeter to measure what voltage it puts out with the gain all the way up. Let me know what you get and I'll tell you how powerful it is at 4 & 8 ohm.
May be that it's not putting out as much as it claims. Forget changing its power output. You'd be far better off buying an amp designed to put out more.

its a custom sound monitor amp,its sposed to be 150 watts but i had it tested and they recond it was only 100w,its 4ohm min,with out pre amp its not very loud,maybe thats me!!, i got my laney with sliders buttons and things,im after a simple powerfull amp,this as 5 band eq and a volume,so all it has on the front is vol,eq and power switch...i would love a marshall super bass head..but hey ho,the reason im plumping for hot rodding this amp is exactly the fact its got a relitivly plain face,as all my gear will need to be painted in uv as part of our stage precence...rave/industrial/cyber

it was a cash converters job,thats why it was cheap...get some good bargains from there...like my epi tbird for £90!! im running a 212 cab with it,i do hook a 115 some times,wich comes in at around 5 ohms,but not no good on my 118,well untill turned up full!!,the laney works just fine,but like i say in after asthetically simpler look,i cant afford a valve,as they have painer faces...good to paint!! im also using a behringer pre amp that gives it a bit more oomph!!!

Edited by thunderider