Why become a member? ×

Bill Evans Transcription - Peri's Scope

hestan

Hi guys,

Here's a play along & transcription (just hand written fly sh@# dots!) of Bill Evans solo on Peri's Scope The original is a bit flat than concert..

http://www.johnnycopland.com/bill-evans-peris-scope/

Cheers, Johnny

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1336379489' post='1644552']
Damn, I wish my theory were that good. Did you just transcribe it on the tube with your ear and a pencil??
[/quote]

You know, I was actually wondering the same thing. I've seen guys say they are no where near their bass and will transcribe stuff. I 'needs' to be able to do that...what do you figure, next 5 (errr...50) years? ;) Thanks Hestan, I always like your posts...thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi tandro/zmech,

Yeah - I do a lot of them on the Northern Line, long journeys north/south. It's hard at first, started with just bass parts before jazz lines, but really good for your ears to try and imagine what intervals you're hearing without a bass or without singing out loud in front of stoney faced commuters! Sometimes you make mistakes and I check it at the end and there are always a few that creep in.

I think from a playing point of view you're always going to get most out of transcribing straight onto the bass, without paper or anything as it's a direct link, and you memorise it better/assimilate, but if you're on the Tube without a bass the mini score book is one way of still learning a few sweet things!

J