Why become a member? ×

how am I doing?

Ou7shined

Here's my latest DAW attempt... number four I think. Again it's just a riff idea to pass onto the guys in the band (Holiday Dog) that got out of hand... but this time I really tried a lot harder to get a decent sound. I'm really enjoying playing with my Addictive Drums vst - some of you may remember my first attempt having a loop from my Korg PX4D running right the way through :D. This is just an instrumental version and no real structure worked out - I do have a vocals to go with it but I've just not gotten around to recordiung them... I think I lack the nuts to blast them out in the house... I just sing them at rehearsals.

Btw this is my first try at making a vid (windows live movie maker). :ph34r: I showed it to a mate and his initial comment was "Is it supposed to look like that?" :D

If I were to redo any of the recordings I would probably use a bit of fuzz (Mastotron) on some of the bass parts as I think it feels a little bland. Having not listened to it for a while I notice the rhythm guitar probably needs more work but I'm not sure what - I gave it quite a pinched mid eq'ing - like a wah being held down but I think it may be coming across a bit more fizzley than I'd want... could just be my speakers.

But generally as far as levels go how am I doing?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srrCVrpcn8A&feature=youtu.be[/media]

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1335877286' post='1637364']
my first instinct is that the snare needs to come down a touch, and the bass needs some of ultra low end cutting out and maybe the whole level brought down a touch

the guitars sound good, just sound like they are getting a bit drowned out by the bass and drums
[/quote]

Nice one thanks. Hardly surprising as those are my favorite bits. :D
I keep telling myself that the art of mixing is probably in not letting your own favorite things becoming too dominant... but it's hard not to.

My g/f told me early on in the mixing that the drums sounded like they were too separate (like in a different room) I think it was because of too much reverb - is that still there?