Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MXR M82 vs Cry Baby 105q

Harrisonian91

Hi,
Firstly I am new here, so hello.
Secondly I currently own an MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter. I love it!
However, I have recently stumbled upon the Cry Baby Bass Wah 105q. It seems to have the EQ control I want.
I am not able to test one really so I was wondering if anyone had any feedback/discussion about the Cry Baby!
Cheers

Well firstly, it's very much different to an envelope filter of course, so although you will be able to no doubt create very similar sounds to those produced by the M82, your dynamics do not affect the sound at all.

The 105Q is well built and has a good feel. The adjustable Q pot is very good, taking you from subtle to a very strong wah sweep (which I have loved). It has a volume pot so you can configure the wah to have a gain boost (or reduction) when engaged, which is perfect to take centre stage with to accentuate a part. The effect leaves your fundamental in tact, which is perhaps one of the reasons why it handles bass so well and sounds so thick, so the wah sweep is just applied to the full midrange and highs.

Further, there is no toe switch to engage the wah as on a conventional wah, as you step on it it engages as it is spring loaded - exactly what I was looking for. The effect disengages when you take your foot off - you can also adjust how quickly the wah turns itself off when you roll the pedal all the way wah to the heel end.

I've really enjoyed using mine. It is the best selling bass wah for a good reason and if I weren't pushed for pedal board space I would probably be keeping mine. If you want to try a wah, give it a punt. I've got one in the classifieds for sale and I think there may be another too.

Have a listen to this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CvT4lP9FyM[/media]

Edited by EskimoBassist

[quote name='Harrisonian91' timestamp='1334918098' post='1623373']
Thanks Eskimo,
So the way you play doesn't affect the filter at all. Just the pedal?
[/quote]
Yup, it's bypassed until you move the pedal forward.
Now, I have one of the 105's myself, and the one thing I don't like about it is that there's a short delay
in your signal when you turn it on or off (by moving the pedal just a little forward). It kind of buzzes or hums a little
during this transition, instead of going instantly off. Also, it doesn't have a huge effect on bass. For a more noticable effect,
I suggest a low pass filter, especially one you can control with an expression pedal. Low pass filters cut off the highs of the signal as you pull the pedal back; it's especially effective after a fuzz, overdrive, distortion, or just a very sharp/mid-heavy bass signal.

Yep, you control sweep of the filter with your foot alone, it allows you to sweep as fast or as slow as you like. Toe down it reaches the high end of the sweep as if the envelope is fully open, heel down it's deep and bassy with the filter closed.

I used to sue one with delay, reverb, phaser and chorus to get nice ambient filter swells.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1334919849' post='1623416']
Now, I have one of the 105's myself, and the one thing I don't like about it is that there's a short delay
in your signal when you turn it on or off (by moving the pedal just a little forward).
[/quote]

The internal trim pot allows you to configure how long (or short) the delay of the effect is.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1334919937' post='1623419']
The internal trim pot allows you to configure how long (or short) the delay of the effect is.
[/quote]
...Internal trim pot...?
Well, looks like I was stupid enough not to open the thing up after all this time.. :facepalm: