Why become a member? ×

Valves for Fender Bassman - with less high gain??

Jigster

I'm currently using two EHX 12AX7's and a 12AT7 as my pre-amp valves. They drive the amp fine, but I wondered if there were any I can use that are compatible to the Bassman, that will allow less break up at high volume and offer a cleaner sound. Paired with the two basses I use which both have quite hot pick ups, the valves can get a bit fizzy.

I realise these things are probably marginal at the high volume stage, but this current combination tends to break up a little too much for my liking.

Any suggestions/thoughts welcome :) and pricing would be an issue so nothing too tope end please.

I'm a bit confused - I assume your amp has an input gain and a master volume? If so then doesn't turning down the input gain reduce the overdrive/break-up? Turning up the master won't usually drive the preamp harder and alter the sound - it should just increase the volume.

Are you sure your not over-driving the power stage?

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1334840741' post='1622171']
no I know, but I'm enquiring more about the signal of the valve once at a high volume - how valves differ and which might be of a less high gain nature??

I think the prob lies largely in the input gain tho, as Thinman posted
[/quote]

fair different valves have different characteristics, buy a few and do some valve rolling to find one you like. Not a fan of ehx valves at all.