Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Humming Moogerfooger

I noticed today that my Moogerfooger Ring Mod is emitting a sub-level (SUPER low frequncy) hum when you touch it, which can be 'grounded'/muted by touching another pedal or one of the jacks else where on the board. I only noticed this with my Streamliner 900 amp up at max looking for the cause of a crackle and at playing volumes this is not audible... But now I know it's there is going to bug me.

When I'm not touching the pedal it does no such thing. I've never noticed this before... But it's likely always been there - honest truth is that I don't often max out my 900w amp to listen to hiss and hum.

I assume this is a grounding style issue and wondered if anyone can advise in where to look within the pedal?

Shep

Looking at a layout pic of the Moogerfooger there appears to be no cable earthing the metal switch parts to the chassis.
I'm guessing that when you touch an earthed surface you are providing an earth link to the metal switch parts.
Try using a scrap of wire tied around the switch shaft and another 'earth' point to see if the problem disappears permanantly.

In fairness to Moog, if the problem is only noticeable when some lunatic turns a 900w amp up to max, they probably don't even know there's a hum there... :lol:

That last point is a good one... Though I do use 5 foogers and this is the only one suffering... Though it is an original big briar one and the others are slightly newer.

I'll give your suggestion a go!

Touching the switch gives a 'slightly' louder hum (in volume) than touching the metal chassis and in either case, also touching anything else metal removes the noise. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow if I get chance.