Why become a member? ×

Ashdown v Hartke sound

Linus27

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='226700' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:06 PM']I played in a marque on Saturday night and the rig sounded amazing, low ceilings, lots of material and bodies to soak the sound up. I dialled all the pots up on the marcus and then some on the mag and really got that deep and warm slightly driven tone. If I had of done this in a big hard surfaced pub or club the sound would have bounced around all over the place and this is when I think that "wool" can appear. Im looking at some markbass stuff because I need that alround tightness of tone that sometimes the mag looses.[/quote]

+1 we played an outdoor gig (on a curtain side trailer) and the mag sounded superb. alot of good comments about the sound but then i suppose tis the same as your point in that there was nothing for the sound to bounce around in so it stayed clean.
not complaining about my normal sound though.

I don't think there's enough differentiation in this debate between the cabs and heads.

I had MAG C115 combo which I thought had a good bottom end on it. Then I built a BFM Omni10 and have used the MAG head on that. With the C115 I ran that head with the pre-shape on and a bit of low boost. With the Omni10 I run the MAG eq totally flat and there's loads more bottom end.

So, in my experience the Ashdown tone is more a product of the cab than the amp - the MAG doesn't sound too different to (but not as nice as) my other K&K head through the BFM.

So, to the OP's question, you might want to think wider than only pairing same manufacturer heads and cabs and maybe choose from more than Hartke and Ashdown.

Just thought i would throw in my thoughts.

I have used the Hartke 3500 with the 115 Xl & 210XL cabs with no problems. I know some other players have said that they find the cabs are too bright but used with a precission or jazz with flat strings i have never experienced this. i think the mixture of flat strings & aluminium cones is the answer for me.

I have tried using EBS neo 110 & 112 with the Hartke 3500 & the tone is definitely deeper. Shame that there isn't a serious lightweight cab with aluminium cones. Maybe one day Hartke will produce one.

PS Strings are Thomastik Infield Jazz - Wasn't happy with the overall tone from other flat strings

jeff