Why become a member? ×

About to take the plunge

ead

After much soul searching I've been in touch with Alan at ACG to begin to plan for having a custom bass built. Very excited about the whole thing :) and now saving up for the deposit - not to mention the balance!

Spec wise not really got much further than 4 strings and probably fretless. After that will I need to get some advice and ideas (please feel free to chip in - I've been looking at some of Alan's basses on the site for inspiration).

The downside is that in order to pay for it I'm going to have to sell pretty much all of my basses :( , so if you see anything you like please make me a decent offer! This is a necessary step as, patient and lovely as Mrs ead is, I'm still scared to death of unveiling the whole plan at this early stage.

Depends what you're after and what sort of music you play but if you go for a fretless I'd suggest having the piezo bridge as part of your pickup configuration. My Recurve (0067) has piezo + humbucker (switchable single-coil) and filter preamp which is a very flexible combination. The piezo has a very wide and open natural sound. Combined with the more focused sound of a mag pup you can cover everything from acoustic-like tones to real grunt and snarl with all points in between. Have fun speccing your bass and enjoy!