Why become a member? ×

Which bass for flatwounds - Stringray H or HH?

mingsta

Hi All,

I've got an old '93 ray who's tone has thickened and warmed up rather nicely over the years. Am also about to acquire a brand new HH ray which will be presumably a little zingier while the woods still got a little green left in it!

Its frankly a little silly having two of the same bass, but I have an opportunity to pick up an absolute stunner thats looking too good to miss. If I was being sensible I should really be looking to find a P or a Big Al, but ho-hum!

So anyways, I've always fancied something thicker and thumpier as an alternative to the Stringray tone and would like to chuck some flats (probably LaBella Deep Talkin) on to one of them.

Any one have experience of how flats go with the SR H and HH? Which would be the better combination of the two? I'd imagine that the neck humbucker of the HH is a natural pairing with flats, but my older H ray will probably sound warmer due to its age.

Mingsta

Well, I have exactly the same 'lineup' of 4 string Rays. Apart from age, I am in the same boat.

Currently, I have my 2011 Ray 4 H strung with Ernie Ball Group III flats. They are fairly zingy at first but are starting to dull now. They feel great! The main thing I noticed is the tension is a little higher than Slinkys, and the low end thump is more pronounced. I have tried a fair few sets, and personally on an EBMM instrument, try the EB strings because they do match VERY well.

I have a new late 2011 Ray HH which has the stock strings. As its a more versatile instrument, I will probably leave it with nickels as you can hear more differences when you move the selector switch. The neck H can get very thumpy motown-type warm bass with nickels and a drop on the treble on the onboard EQ.

Try the flats on the older H first :)

Edited by Musicman20

Good stuff!

I was kind of leaning towards the same conclusion.

Maybe I can switch round in about 20 years once the HH has warmed up a little :D

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1331816983' post='1579345']

Try the flats on the older H first :)

[/quote]