Why become a member? ×

Where in the chain should I have my rack tuner?

Alex Spencer

I'm currently go form my bass into the tuner (Korg DTR-2), then effects (SansAmp Bass Driver) and then head (Ampeg B5-R). My thoughts were that I would be getting the clearest signal into my tuner and it would be most accurate. I was reading the manual for my head earlier though, and it has a 'tuner out' jack socket. I'm assume then that it's expecting it to go effects > head > tuner?

It's just confused me a little! How should I be setting this all up?!

Many thanks!

Would start by saying there is no right or wrong with stuff like this but personally I'd ideally want the tuner first you want to give it the cleanest possible signal, you're unlikely to notice much difference between tuner out and tuner before the amp without any effects though. If you're just using the samsamp I'm sure it would tune fine still putting that on the tuner out or before the amp but after that, to keep the signal chain as short as possible.

Edited by simwells

Alternatively, if you find that your settings on the BDDI are causing problems with tuning speed or accuracy from the amp's tuner-out, then put your tuner on the parallel-out of the BDDI itself, because that's as good as putting the tuner first, but it's not actually in the signal chain to your amp.