Why become a member? ×

Jazzbastard goes active

GreeneKing

I'm so bowled over by Alan's (Skelf, AC Guitars) new EQ02 pre-amp that I put into my Warmoth P that I've gone and put one in the Jazzbastard too. I took the body into work today to enlarge the rout for a battery with a selection of chisels and a mallet and succeeded in causing no unwanted damage other than severing the bridge pickup wires , soon sorted. I suspect a Fender body will have enough room for the battery without resorting to woodwork.

I also slapped a Badass II on and I've just spent nearly 3 hours tidying the earth wiring, filing saddles, putting extra foam under pickups, shimming the neck ever so slightly, adjusting the trussrod and setting the intonation at each and every step.

All of a sudden it's all spot on and sounds wonderful.

As you can see I'm becoming a total filter pre convert. Unlike Alan's pre-amps fitted to his own basses the EQ02 has one low pass filter with the 'resonance peak at cutoff frequency' knob on top, a high pass filter with a gain control, a volume and in the case of the Jazz a blend.

Now I'm used to the concept I find it much more intuitive than splitting the controls into treble, bass and mid with cut and boost. One knob sets where in the bass to upper mid realm you put your 'stick in the sand', with everything under the 'stick' included and the treble fills in where necessary. Add the blend on the Jazz and you have the usual tonal variation there anyway.

The pre is so easy to fit, especially on a Jazz at it comes on its own plate and all that is needed is to connect the pickups with a small screwdriver and likewise for the earth.

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php[/url]

Here's some shots of the pair:

If you think passive is the only way to go on a Jazz or Precision maybe you should try these.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing