Why become a member? ×

converting a right handed double bass to a lefty

jojoagogo234

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1331372615' post='1571943']
Call me nieve but couldnt you just turn the bridge 180deg or is the front contour asymetric too?

A
[/quote]

I did that on my upright, but had to file the inside of the grooves a tiny little bit, because they were sloping in what was now the wrong direction. I only felt bold enough to do that because the bass is cheap, and I wanted to experiment - I would get a pro to do everything properly if I bought an expensive non-lefty intrument.
However, I'm happy to see that Thomann do sell left-handed double basses.

Edited by bluejay

Pretty much every aspect of the bridge is asymetric.... The "front" face (fingerboard side)is curved, whilst the back is flat. The feet are fitted *accurately* to the profile of the front of the instrument. As above, the string grooves slope downhill toward the tailpiece (to prevent string buzz in the grooves) There's no guarantee that the neck/fingerbaord will be perfectly in register, so revolving the bridge may not result in ideal action. Similarly, there are a lot of "standard" fingerboard curves, and whilst some are radii, others aren't, which, given that the bridge will follow the same curve, would result in uneven action on the D&A strings.