Why become a member? ×

Singing and playing

shizznit

I'm in the interesting position of - at the tender age of 48 - learning to sing backing and play bass at the same time. This is having never sang a not before in my life.

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. Singing is surprisingly difficult. I'm starting to crack the mechanics of doing it but I have no idea how to make my voice sound good. Sigh!

If I can syncopate the vocal phrasing with the bass line I can just about manage, but if the phrasing of both are out of unison that's where I really struggle. My girlfriend has suggested that I should go to a vocal coach, but I dunno how they could help?

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331035311' post='1566558']
If I can syncopate the vocal phrasing with the bass line I can just about manage, but if the phrasing of both are out of unison that's where I really struggle. My girlfriend has suggested that I should go to a vocal coach, but I dunno how they could help?
[/quote]

Unless the vocal coach is someone who has experience singing and playing bass at the same time, I don't know how going to one would be helpful. If he is someone used to singing and playing guitar, conceivably it could make things worse. When it comes to singing and playing at the same time, there is a world of difference between guitar and bass. Of course, I'm sure there are vocal coaches out there famiiar with the singing and playing bass issue, but likely a substantial number are not.