Why become a member? ×

Please put my mind at rest!

warwickhunt

I've just been offered a GK800rb as part of a deal for my bass.

Plugged it into my cab connected bass, cab etc powered up (to quite a large pop) and I'm getting a hiss and what a sound like a drummer playing fast para-diddles!

Argh... I power down. I step back think then go and get a different bass and lead (inc IEC mains lead). Same thing (except no loud pop as I left the speaker cable out until it was powered up, then I inserted it). I tried the speaker lead in the other outputs, inc' the 8 ohm 100 watt output... the same.

Argh... I power down. I step back think then go and get a different amp (my Thunderfunk). Same thing (except no loud pop as my TF doesn't do those things). The same thing but not quite as noticeable! Now this has never been like this before. I can't see how the cab could be inducing this noise but I'd like any input if that is plausible! As both amps are doing it I'm assuming that it's consumer electricity supply related...

I don't have my car at the moment otherwise I'd throw it all in the car and nash around to my local rehearsal rooms, so any thoughts?

Just a thought but... our leccie supply on the ring main has tripped a couple of times through the night, this may give some clue but I don't know! Obviously I'm going to contact a mate who is a sparkie but in the meantime has anyone come across this before?

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172970' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:31 AM']I've just been offered a GK800rb as part of a deal for my bass.

Plugged it into my cab connected bass, cab etc powered up (to quite a large pop) and I'm getting a hiss and what a sound like a drummer playing fast para-diddles!

Argh... I power down. I step back think then go and get a different bass and lead (inc IEC mains lead). Same thing (except no loud pop as I left the speaker cable out until it was powered up, then I inserted it). I tried the speaker lead in the other outputs, inc' the 8 ohm 100 watt output... the same.

Argh... I power down. I step back think then go and get a different amp (my Thunderfunk). Same thing (except no loud pop as my TF doesn't do those things). The same thing but not quite as noticeable! Now this has never been like this before. I can't see how the cab could be inducing this noise but I'd like any input if that is plausible! As both amps are doing it I'm assuming that it's consumer electricity supply related...

I don't have my car at the moment otherwise I'd throw it all in the car and nash around to my local rehearsal rooms, so any thoughts?

Just a thought but... our leccie supply on the ring main has tripped a couple of times through the night, this may give some clue but I don't know! Obviously I'm going to contact a mate who is a sparkie but in the meantime has anyone come across this before?[/quote]

You've eliminated the bass and head and I doubt it's airborne interference inducing signal into your cab directly. To be audible it would probably cook you!

Where I live we used to frequently have everyone put on a temporary diesel generator patched in to the sub-station down the road with corresponding mains glitches . Don't know if you've got one of those in use at present that's kicking out a lot of mains-borne or air borne interference than normal mains?

It's not another household appliance gone a bit awry is it?

I wouldn't have thought a good amp itself would let noise through its power supply - it's more likely to be something airborne getting into a high gain amp - either the preamp or your bass itself. Where we practice we're about 2 miles from a BBC radio transmitter and at times that seems to be able to induce a signal into just about anything including guitar amps without a guitar plugged in!

The only other thought is a radio transmitter of some sort nearby that's just turned up.

Sorry - bit vague but I'm sure someone here will have a more specific answer.

Mike

[quote name='thinman' post='172985' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:57 AM']You've eliminated the bass and head and I doubt it's airborne interference inducing signal into your cab directly. To be audible it would probably cook you!

Where I live we used to frequently have everyone put on a temporary diesel generator patched in to the sub-station down the road with corresponding mains glitches . Don't know if you've got one of those in use at present that's kicking out a lot of mains-borne or air borne interference than normal mains?

It's not another household appliance gone a bit awry is it?

I wouldn't have thought a good amp itself would let noise through its power supply - it's more likely to be something airborne getting into a high gain amp - either the preamp or your bass itself. Where we practice we're about 2 miles from a BBC radio transmitter and at times that seems to be able to induce a signal into just about anything including guitar amps without a guitar plugged in!

The only other thought is a radio transmitter of some sort nearby that's just turned up.

Sorry - bit vague but I'm sure someone here will have a more specific answer.

Mike[/quote]

No Mike don't apologise, anything helps!

As it happens I've taken my amp(s) up to the local rehearsal room and they were fine there (though the capacitor(s) on the GK may be on the way out as it appears to be a bit distorted and there is a bit of a pop on powere up/down, but that's a different thread :) )

Analysing what you've just said I do know that a couple of hundred yards down the road they are doing some road works, removing the existing white lines and replacing them and they have a Gennie in operation for the traffic lights, so your suggestion holds water. I suppose I've no way of confirming this until they are gone but I'm still perplexed as to why our electricity has tripped a couple of times through the night!

[quote name='Astronomer' post='173070' date='Apr 9 2008, 01:13 PM']If your mobile phone's close by that can cause some interference coming through. Also, FWIW, depending on the weather I sometimes hear very faint American amateur radio.[/quote]

I don't think the phone was anywhere near and I've had the phone in my pocket in the past and it doesn't normally cause any issues.

The weather... well who knows, one minute hailstones the next bright blue sky :)