Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feeler: Status Energy 6

Bilbo

I have a Status Energy (I think - see below) 6-string bass that I am considering trying to swap for a similar quality 5-string (not much use for the dusty end of the 6).

My confusion on the model revolves around the fact that, unlike some other basses, this one doesn't actually SAY what it is anywhere on the bass and I am no geek and have forgotten! I have looked for similar basses on the 'net and the ones I found that looked the most similar are Status Energy 5s. I bought it for £800 (new) from Anderton's in Guildford about 6 years ago so the price for an Energy would be about right. Its got a wooden, not graphite, neck, two active pickups and a volume and two tone knobs. The sound is very clean and it is fretted - don't really like it on both those counts but I know others do like that kind of thing! To say it hasn't been played much is an understatement - the battery in it is the original!! I basically do 4 gigs a year on it and record using it when my Wal is not available (i.e. when it is downstairs and I can't be a***ed to go down and get it). Other than that it stays on the wall. The bass comes with a hard case (Hiscox I think - I am in work and the bass is at home so I can't check).

I keep meaning to take photos of it for posting but never get around to it! It is on the wall behind my right shoulder on my avatar. I will get some proper photos here if I decide to go for it.

Anyone got a similar quality 5 they are minded to move (fretted or fretless)?

Would you be interested in cash at all? Just a thought... PM me a fig if need be. Would be great to see a pic.

Oh yes, also, I was initially convinced that your avatar was a pic of Jeff Berlin!!! You're stance and everything..!! :) Just thought id add that..

Edited by overwater#1

No, thats not Jeff Berlin on my avatar, its me. Its just that I have a big gut and questionable facial hair too! The bass hangs there because it has too!

I just found out that mine IS an Energy 6 as there is a picture of it in G-77's post here (post no. 6):

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14286&hl=status+energy"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...l=status+energy[/url]

The bass I have is the one on the far right (as you look at the picture).

I have an Overwater active 5 string. Not one of the "production models" and with a circuit I am still trying to figure out, although it seems to behave very like a WAL circuit. Although it is probably from the mid '80s it is in excellent condition. Lovely action, very even tones across the strings. Kent Armstrong pickups made for Overwater. I'll try to attach some pics here:

[attachment=7394:35801.jpg]

[attachment=7395:35802.jpg]

[attachment=7396:35806.jpg]

[attachment=7397:35807.jpg]

[attachment=7398:35808.jpg]

[attachment=7399:35809.jpg]

[attachment=7400:35810.jpg]

Colur is a very dark but transparent blue/green all over (body, head, neck) and it's a through neck construction with a flamed maple facing under the finish. Controls seem to be something like Volume with push/pull 6db treble boost (rather like the WAL pick attack), 2 x volume with tonal variation, one for each pickup, and finally a Q like frequency variation which operates mostly on the bridge pickup. One 9v battery required.

Chris May at Overwater remembers making it but only dimly. The circuit was designed by a guy who was working at Overwater at the time but who now runs his own tech design business, hence the degree of mystery about it's exact properites. All the electrics look good and totally uncorroded (the cavity is beautifully screened). Setup is pretty good too.

If you might be interested do let me know. PM me if you have any queries.
All the best with the sale/swap.
Nick S

[quote name='overwater#1' post='172511' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:10 PM']Heh.. yeah if you buy it Ste, il buy it from you in a few months when I get the cash :)[/quote]

Pah! Ive calmed down a lot ill have you know. However i am selling a rather nice....

Yeah im going :huh:

Still waiting to see whether Rob might be interested in the Overwater. If not then I would consider offers on it. Not getting on the forum too regularly at the moment so forgive me if there's a bit of delay in replying. Do PM me as I should get email prompts. Thanks, Nick S