Why become a member? ×

Help! Warmoth fretless bass neck

Max Normal

For my latest frankenbass, I want to put a Warmoth P-bass neck onto a Fender body with some Wizard thumper pickups that i have.

The neck specs i want are: Maple neck, Macassar ebony fingerboard, unlined fretless, "Slim taper" neck profile.

I do have a few worries though:

My biggest worry is that I have heard that Warmoth bass necks are a bit thick and "baseball batty". I really like a slim neck, so I wonder if anyone has experience of their "Slim Taper" profile.
I have also heard that the steel reinforcing rods in the neck affect the sound (I assume brighten it up) and make the necks quite heavy. Anyone know about this?

Also, and I know that this is quite a subjective question, but do you think that the £350.00 odd (including shipping and customs) that this is about to cost me is justified for a Warmoth Fretless neck and the earache I am going to get from my missus? Are they really that good?

I'm also wondering if I should approach a luthier over here, but I like the fact that a Warmoth neck holds its value, while a British one-off might not, and I really want the funky macassar fingerboard.

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers
Mark

Warmoth are expensive but they are really good quality. I cannot comment on the P-bass replacement necks but my gecko bass neck is not too thick, it is really well crafted and top quality woods. THe neck is a bit heavy but not a problem, it balances well.
Are they worth £350? Hmmm, depends on your income and priorities, I think only you can make that judgement.

I have the money to pay for one ready, but I think things can have an intrinsic value based on workmanship, playability, sound, customer service etc, so not sure i agree. I don't want to waste my money on a baseball bat. It's hard to make that judgement without the opinions of people like you who already own Warmoth necks, as I don't have access to one to try it out, and I have never had to deal with Warmoth.

Thanks for your opinion on the profile though, that was one of the most important parts for me. As far as the slim taper profile goes, nobody seems to know about them so I assume it's a fairly new option. I think I'll get it made anyway. I'll stick a brief review of it up on BC once I get it if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Warmoth slim taper jazz neck on my recently built J-P.

I find the neck really fast and easy to play - it's much slimmer than my Squier JV 62 precision.

I have no problems with neckdive but overall the bass is a little heavier than the Squier.

I too read of neck dive and baseball like necks - but only after I had ordered the thing....I'm glad i didn't read all that before I ordered or I might not have the beautiful neck now.

The finish quality is superb - I don't think you'll be disapponted.
Bear in mind that std tuner ream on Warmoth necks is 11/16" [17.5mm] BML - not everything fits.

Edited by Twigman