Why become a member? ×

Trace 250SMX: Using Send for FOH

Count Bassie

Hi all,
I'm interested to know about where the DI and the effects send are tapped in the signal flow of the SMX250 head? I'd like to be able to use the dual-band compressor for recording purposes, and if I send straight to the board, will the signal have gone through this section of the preamp?

Thanks!

As far as I know (I own an AH300SMX).....

The signal flow is such that;

Using "send" alone without "return" in play will effectively isolate the power stage, effectively turning your head into a pre-amp.
The DI should be switchable pre/post eq.
Logic suggests that the fx loop should be [u]before[/u] the DI in either case, as your DI to the desk would otherwise lack any FX you might want it to carry.
I'm inclined to think that the dual compressor stage is after the return on the fx loop (and the DI, too), and immediately before the power stage. I've always viewed it as a "please don't knacker my cabs" device.
I think the assumption is that the desk handles the compression according to the mixer's whim.
At best, it [i]might[/i] send a compressed signal via the DI if you switch it to post EQ... That's probably your best bet.
If you have access to a small mixer, try it out. No danger of wrecking anything, as I've run my SMX with no load during recording sessions.