Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar & GK MB500. overdrive sounds ?

hamfist

Nowhere near me stocks these amps, and there seems to be nothing online that I can find to give me much of a clue for rock-type overdrive tones from either of these amps. All the youtube offerings are either clean, or all slap or whatever, but no simple rock OD tones at all.
Can anyone either guide me to online examples of OD tones from either of these amps, or try to explain what OD tones they are capable of.
If it helps at all, I have an EBS multidrive, whcih I'm guessing might offer similar drive tones to the Reidmar.

Having just acquired a TC Electronics RH750, I'm finding the tube tone control is giving me plenty of nice overdrive, very controllable too. It also fits the bill for the more 'modern' sound you might be after with Reidmar or the GK, although it isn't nearly as naturally scooped sounding as I've found EBS stuff to be in the past. As a rock player it might be up your alley, although I happen to think EBS and GK have got some great stuff to offer too.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1328982733' post='1535695']
The Reidmar doesn't have a drive channel.

To get overdrive you will have to use a pedal.
[/quote]

Quoting the EBS website .....

.... "The EBS Reidmar provide a powerful and defined sound at all levels and when pushed to the limit it provides a natural and useful amp distortion, like a nice Drive"

There is also a youtube clip of the Reidmar in overdrive [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlOqnnv-zzw[/media]

(at 4:26in the video). However, unfortunately, it was whilst slapping.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328997770' post='1535965']
For an idea of what the MB500 sounds like, seek out this from Duff McKagan. Not exact, but very similar, bearing in mind this is studio production:

[media]http://youtu.be/KLvZUKBS1HA[/media]
[/quote]

Appreciate that Lozz. However, apart from that short high bit at the start, I'm awful at picking out what the amp might sound like from the heavily produced sound of the whole band in that video. What is your own experience of the amp's OD sounds (as I see from your sig that you own an MB500) ?

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328997770' post='1535965']
For an idea of what the MB500 sounds like, seek out this from Duff McKagan. Not exact, but very similar, bearing in mind this is studio production:

[media]http://youtu.be/KLvZUKBS1HA[/media]
[/quote]

Would that be with the boost knob right up? If so I may have GK GAS again :lol:

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1328997482' post='1535960']
Quoting the EBS website .....

.... "The EBS Reidmar provide a powerful and defined sound at all levels and when pushed to the limit it provides a natural and useful amp distortion, like a nice Drive"

There is also a youtube clip of the Reidmar in overdrive [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlOqnnv-zzw[/media]

(at 4:26in the video). However, unfortunately, it was whilst slapping.
[/quote]

I'll retract my comment then :)

I hadn't realised it would do that, well not safely anyway.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1328999272' post='1535989']
Appreciate that Lozz. However, apart from that short high bit at the start, I'm awful at picking out what the amp might sound like from the heavily produced sound of the whole band in that video. What is your own experience of the amp's OD sounds (as I see from your sig that you own an MB500) ?
[/quote]

Well I run everything on the amp at midday - apart from volume as that would kill my ears, it`s a very loud amp - so I don`t really use the OD much, though I have tinkered with it, to get the sound at the start of the VR track. That`s with the gain at about 3 o`clock. But it does get quite dirty on full - a nice Lemmy-type sound.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1329074145' post='1536848']
Well I run everything on the amp at midday - apart from volume as that would kill my ears, it`s a very loud amp - so I don`t really use the OD much, though I have tinkered with it, to get the sound at the start of the VR track. That`s with the gain at about 3 o`clock. But it does get quite dirty on full - a nice Lemmy-type sound.
[/quote]

I'm guessing your MXR M-80's OD/distortion tones are more to your tastes then ?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1329079822' post='1536968']
I'm guessing your MXR M-80's OD/distortion tones are more to your tastes then ?
[/quote]

Well I`ve only just got that, am still working on the sounds, but I think that a very small amount of the distortion is likely to creep into my everyday sound - with my punk covers band that is.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1329006266' post='1536066']
Would that be with the boost knob right up? If so I may have GK GAS again :lol:
[/quote]

The MB series have slightly different controls to the RBs. Each channel just has gain and master instead of the barrage of volumes their bigger amps have.

The tone in that VR song would be pretty easy to get from my MB Fusion.