Why become a member? ×

Excited Noob wants some preamp advice

BassInMyFace

My very first upright is arriving tonight, very excited. Got a very good deal on an newish solid top which my mate is picking up from the big smoke tonight.
It is fitted with a fishman bp100 which I gather is a bit of a dog to get a decent sound from. The Internet seems to be unanimous in recommending a preamp with this pick up. Obviously the fishman pro eq looks like a good fit.
Does (A) anyone have a pro eq they can flog to me? Notice one went earlier this week in marketplace, boo.
Or (2) know of any reasonable alternatives I can look at? Don't want to spend the earth but am open to suggestion.

I am extremely excited about getting this bass and will no doubt be hopping up and down like a puppy until this evening. By which point the crushing disappointment will hit when I realise all my skills mean nothing when tackling what amounts to a wardrobe with strings on it.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1328875843' post='1534110']
Well, any kind of preamp will help but you're right, the BP100 can be "challenging". I've used several preamps to good effect. DHA DI EQ, Art Tube MP, MXR80 (this works really well with my bass for some reason).

Where are you based?
[/quote]

I'm in brum. Saw that DHA one and thought it looked reasonably priced. Is there any double bass specific features I need to look out for? There are numerous cheapy electric bass preamps but wonder what extras the upright needs. The fishman has a phase switch to kill feedback etc. What is necessary for upright and what is desirable?

The phase thing shouldn't matter if you're not using a mic and a piezzo at the same time. The notch filter is the one folks use for feedback killing, but I don't know if it's worth extra cost of a Fishman over a DHA.

Those Fishmans don't come up second hand that often is the problem. I'd wait and see about feedback before worrying about it tbh. Maybe conserve cash in case the bp100 doesn't suit your bass at all and you want to try a Bassmax or something?

The DHA is very good quality for the price.