Why become a member? ×

Mainstage with a bass?

Louder

So does anyone use their bass going into a Mac with mainstage? I've tried and I don't seem to be able to get many decent tones out of it. My guitar sounds ok, I can get all kinds of crunchy or clean sounds, I just wonder if it can deal with the low range.

I've done both, Cort Action V into Apogee Duet. Best results didn't come from specific bass amp sims, but from using the compressor models (optical, or sometimes FET, for bass), EQ, and sometimes Space Designer with impulse responses from guitar cabinets.

What sort of sounds are you shooting for?

It can be better than alright... a decent DI (whether it's part of an audio interface, stand alone, part of an amp, a simple transformer into a microphone preamp, etc.) into Logic (or Pro Tools, or whatever) is they a huge number of records are made. And once you've played with EQ and compressors for a bit you can just save your various tones and recall them in an instant, but it is hugely versatile and can sound exceedinly good (and it can actually sound exceedingly good without any tweaking at all... but it depends what kind of sound you want)

Had another play last night, trying to ignore the amp simulator stuff. I think the kinds of sounds I would like are just basic eq settings, maybe with some compression. DI-ing just sounded so flat and lifeless but the amp sims made everything a little more pleasing - but not 'quite there'.

I'll keep playing with it.

Cheers for the suggestion of the recording section, I'll peek there too. :)