Why become a member? ×

Michael from Edinburgh

ScreencastTutor

Hey all, music was never really my forte but figured I would give it a go. Bought my bass a year or so ago and have been progressing very slowly (just pick it up when have spare 10mins). Being a bit more proactive in advancing now though and started to read a bit more about the music theory.

Age 21, currently a student. Bass is a Squier VM Jazz Bass, Laney RB1, B2.1u effects pedal. Started off listening to hip-hop and old school rap when I was younger. Now I am particularly interested in funk music after realizing that's where all the good hip-hop bass-lines came from. Would be nice to find some other funk fans, certainly very difficult to find sheet music for the old songs (seeing as I can't play by ear). Tend to find slap style more natural.

Will upload my nooby videos as I improve - [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/mikka23thatsme?feature=mhee"]http://www.youtube.c...me?feature=mhee[/url]

Edited by ScreencastTutor

Hello Michael.

There's lots of fans of the Squier VM Jazz here. I love mine.
There are pegged links here to several sources of sheet music which I think you'll find very useful. Look under 'General Discussion' second entry from the top.

There are also some hard core Funk Fans.

Sounds like you'll be at home!

Edited by Len_derby

Thanks guys. I checked out the links for bass tabs which is great. It doesn't have a couple of the things I'm most interested in though:

Fatback Band - lots of songs which are great, seems to be a long shot to find. They have some really nice slap basslines.
Larry Graham - Earthquake - there are a couple of tabs kicking around but they don't seem even half right.

Also checked out the other thread about an Edinburgh meetup, would be interested in coming along but way too nooby to play. Been meaning to check out the jazz bar next to Adam House, has anyone been?

Edited by ScreencastTutor