Why become a member? ×

Reissue Mullards - Any one know / have experience of these?

mattjones_81

Hi all,

I was thinking of changing the preamp valves in my soundcity b120 to play about with the tone. I like all I read about the Mullard ECC83 12AX7 valves but can't afford the hefty pricetag!

I saw these on ebay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180719440055&category=64629&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180719440055&category=64629&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619[/url]

but am a little sceptical - does anyone know if these are a faithful reproduction that will get me the Mullard tone on the cheap? Or are they just a big pile of pap?

Any thoughts / ideas / knowledge or experience would be appreciated

Thanks

Matt

I'm awaiting delivery of some of these, http://www.hotroxuk.com/matched-valves-links-page-12ax7-6l6-909-0/preamp-valves-12ax7-ecc82jj-groove-tube-12ax7m-1885-0/tung-sol-re-issue-12ax7-set-of-5-mesa-boogie-triaxis.html They're supposed to be the dogs, I'll report what I think when I've tried them. I'm not sure about the 3D sound though. I wonder if they'll send me a free pair of special glasses, or should that be ears, to appreciate it.

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Well the gig was not the greatest trial for and amp, community centre, high ceiling, wood floor and no sound absorbsion at all. I expect the echo is still going a day later. Audience loved it though and that's what matters. Did I forget to mention the neighbour in her bungalow next door who complained repeatedly about the volume and this was before we'd even set up or played anything and as usual people do what the one wants and not the 150 or so people who are there to enjoy themselves.[/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Back to the new pre-amp valves. Took out the JJ ecc83s's and replaced them with the new Tung Sol re-issue 12AX7's. In the garage my amp, Mywatt 200, did sound slightly different in a nice way. At the start of the gig it was a bit difficult to tell if there was any difference at all. However, by the second set the sound was noticably improved, not that the sound was bad in the first place. Tighter bass and treble and less mid. I guess the valves needed to be played in. I'm looking forward to playing an acoustically better venue without a whinging neighbour.[/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif]I began playing in the 60s and valve amps were all there were. Valves were only changed when they died and were replaced with whatever you could get your hands on. It never occured to anyone that valves had a 'sound' even if we did know about the sound of valves I certainly couldn't afford to experiment so it comes as a bit of a revelation that you can change the sound of an amp by just changing the valves but then again, all the valves back then were what is described as NOS today so perhaps there wasn't a difference after all as we used the best there were anyway.[/font]