Why become a member? ×

70s plywood any good or hold out for solid top?

BassInMyFace

just seen a (possibly) 70s plywood bass for sale, made in Czech possibly Strunal. would this be a decent bass compared to a newer solid top? think i remember reading somewhere that older plywoods can be decent. i know the pros and cons of ply vs solid but just wondering if old ply might trump new solid?? seller looking for around £400. was expecting to pay more but if folks reckon it could be decent then im open to having a look.

I have an old plywood db which i think is lovely, and I've always had favourable comments about it.

If it sounds ok (but bear in mind you may well be able to improve on it with a bit of fettling) and plays ok, and looks pretty solid, I would personally take the gamble for that kind of money

It always depends what style you are playing. I presume not orchestral ... where this might let you down, at least in terms of losing face, if not necessarily in sound.

For jazz or anything else, hell 70s Czech basses were great basses. Strunal is a bloody decent factory, still making great factory instruments.

Decent ply, not too thick, can produce a perfectly good tone. It might well be better than some cheap solid wood, but any older decent solid is going to have a complexity and projection even beyond a decent plywood like this. It's also going to cost you WAY over £1000

I have a 60s/70s Czech ply, beautiful sound. Likely made at Strunal factory before it became Strunal. Worth about a grand I reckon... so for £400 I'd take his hand off.

Play before buying.