Why become a member? ×

5 position pickup switch Jazz Bass

brensabre79

Great! I forgot to say, I haven't figured out how it works in your set-up but if you go with the low-pass capacitor then you need to wire it in such a way that it doesn't act as a master tone but is isolated for each . I think the Fender schematic for the 62 reissue is not correct compared to the original setup because it lacks the resistors that isolate each tone control.

Edited by LawrenceH

Not sure, I'll wait until the bits arrive and hook it up and see... The preset resistors only have two points, so in position 4 the signal from the neck pickup is resisted by up to 250k before it gets to the master vol/tone controls. Originally I had the resistor shunting off to earth, but I figured that actually this would just short out the pickup. I guess thats why I'm posting on here in the hope that someone can say "that'll never work because...." or "that will work and it will sound awesome..." :)

Preset resistors generally have three terminals (just like a regular pot). To use as volume control, the signal should go to the wiper, one leg to the destination and the other to ground. This acts as a voltage divider with the signal being tapped off at some intermediate value (determined by position of the wiper) and part of the signal running to ground. Just inserting an inline resistor won't have the same effect. Although what effect it will have I'm not sure!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1327427898' post='1511086']
The preset resistors only have two points
[/quote]

It'll have a 3rd connector there somewhere.
If you've gone for a horizontal one then it'll have two pins next to each other on one end and a third connector on the opposite end (so they'd make a triangle if you drew lines between them).

I think what you've seen is that it's hard to get an angle where all three legs are showing when you photograph them. :)

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1327432918' post='1511183']
Just inserting an inline resistor won't have the same effect. Although what effect it will have I'm not sure!
[/quote]

A pair of inline resistors are used in the stack pot circuit to isolate the effects of each capacitor to one pickup, so even with the volume on full the signal is still going through the resistors.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1327482911' post='1511855']
They just arrived in the post, and indeed they do have three! I was wondering how on Earth they worked with two (if you'll pardon the pun).

Thanks iKay and iCastle.

So...
[attachment=98121:wiring-6.jpg]
[/quote]

That looks about right to me.

I presume the switch is one of the grey and black plastic ones and not an open 'skeleton' metal one?
If it's a metal one and you get a 'buzz' then you'll probably need to earth the metalwork of the switch.

Cheers mate.

Yep, they are the black plastic ones - the ones you sent me a link to at Maplin...
Thanks for your help sir! :hi:

I might have to fiddle with the placement of the capacitor but once the rest of the bits arrive and I get it working right I'll post up on here the final circuit in case anyone else wants to try it out. :i-m_so_happy:

OK I tested it out with a 4 pos. switch I have while Iwait for the 5 pos.
It works perfectly!
So I have foregone the 100% neck pickup with 50% bridge as I don't really need this for my purposes.
In the 100% Bridge 50% neck position I get all the growl from the BPU with a bit of the thud of the NPU, a little tweak of the preset pot and the mix is just right.
I haven't put the capacitor in yet (waiting for those too) and I think I might have to revise the position of that in the circuit but for now I'm pretty pleased with it. once I've put it all together I'll post a revised diagram.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Bren

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1327925200' post='1518746']
OK I tested it out with a 4 pos. switch I have while Iwait for the 5 pos.
It works perfectly!
So I have foregone the 100% neck pickup with 50% bridge as I don't really need this for my purposes.
In the 100% Bridge 50% neck position I get all the growl from the BPU with a bit of the thud of the NPU, a little tweak of the preset pot and the mix is just right.
I haven't put the capacitor in yet (waiting for those too) and I think I might have to revise the position of that in the circuit but for now I'm pretty pleased with it. once I've put it all together I'll post a revised diagram.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Bren
[/quote]

Brilliant :)

That gives you a working 'prototype' that you can use as a fixed point to experiment from.