Why become a member? ×

Intermittent sound from old Maine head.

jokolono

May be a silly question....but im a complete novice when it comes to amp repairs!

[b]The Story:[/b]
I had an unwanted Maine bass head given to me today, as a new project..obviously its not fully working, but wondered if it would be an easy solution with basic electronics knowledge...
I know nothing about the head, except that it looks fairly old, and can find nothing on the internet about Maine heads. It is solid state, and 4ohm...thats about it..

[b]The Problem[/b]:

When i turn the head on, plugged into a cab there is a very slight hum from the amp (not worried about this, because of the age of it.) but at least i know its not a cab problem..
There is no actual playing sound when the amp is switched on, but when I switch the switch off, it starts to work, for about 5-8 seconds, then fades to nothing....

[b]The Question:[/b]
Is this an obvious problem that i can fix with a soldering iron and a screwdriver...or do i need to take it to a proper amp-fixer?

Any suggestions/pointers/questions/smart-alec comments much appreciated!

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'd practise on something you can throw away afterwards. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Main[/font][/color][/size][size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] are great amps which unfortunately were hardly noticed when they were being made, back in the 70's and 80's. I played with 2 guitarists who got a fantastic sound out of them back then. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'd get this professionally serviced and repaired and you'll have a great vintage amp.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, bit of an update, but more confusion..!
I took it to my local shop, they fixed it up, said it was some fuses and just generally needed cleaning... He showed me it working, so I took it home...
...got it home, and lo and behold, im having the same problem again..!

The only variables are the cab, speaker cable, and power lead, and I've tried all 3 with another head and no problem.. also tried different cabs and leads with this head with no luck...

So...any more ideas..?