Why become a member? ×

volume/tone controls not very smooth? - all or nothing!

skidder652003

Hi Guys
im sure something like this has been discussed before but here goes.
I currently use an '82 - '51 reissue JV squier P (with modded jazz pup) with SD quarter pounders, it sounds ace and i love it as my own child!
However, and i guess this may be fairly common, its not very "smooth" when turning up or down the volume, or adjusting the treble or even switching between pups. It sorta goes from nothing to 100% way before i've fully finished turning the controls. Switching between pups doesnt blend particulaly well either, again kind of all or nothing between the P or the J. Is this a pot control issue? Maybe the electrics are shot or just crap? Is there somewhere i could purchase an "upgrade" for the internal bits for P basses?
Sorry if i sound a bit of a luddite, but I can just about change Pups with a solder so is this a DIY job or a trip down to Mansons Exeter!!?
Thanks for any advice!

Controls being 'all or nothing' is a fairly common problem normally due to the 'taper' of the pots. Google linear versus log taper pots to find out what that's all about. But also bear in mind that the 'log' tapers commonly used for volume controls are actually an approximation that can be more or less good depending on the quality of the pot. CTS are generally recommended as good upgrade pots, I've used Alpha brand pots recently, which work well but have smaller carbon tracks so I don't expect them to be as rugged.

Blending is potentially a more complicated issue, are you using 2 separate volume controls, one for each pickup, or it a master volume plus blend setup? This latter can be a bit annoying on passive basses apparently (not something I've ever used). Blending between a P and a J can have particular problems unless the pickups are well-matched. To get really fine control over individual pickup volumes in a 2-pickup setting then a buffering preamp is probably the way to go. Having said that, it's perfectly possible for a passive setup to work well enough, those on my P/J Aerodyne wired VVT are very usable. Tone control on all my basses functions right across the pot range. Volume controls do too as long as only using one pickup at a time.

What Lawrence means is that "Taper" or logarythmic pots tend to do this, you should use linear "B" pots if you want to have that in between option. The taper are more popular among guitarrists as they normally to use them full on.

I had the same problem and changed all my pots for linear "B" and I'm a happy man now.

Edited by Mcgiver69

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1327584724' post='1513730']
What Lawrence means is that "Taper" or logarythmic pots tend to do this, you should use linear "B" pots if you want to have that in between option. The taper are more popular among guitarrists as they normally to use them full on.

I had the same problem and changed all my pots for linear "B" and I'm a happy man now.
[/quote]

The human ear has a roughly logarithmic sensitivity to sound levels, so log pots are used as volume controls. At least thats what I was taught when I studied electronic engineering in the 60s/70s. dont spose much has changed, although 'Audio taper 'pots are available these days as well.